Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 00:29:13 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: A faster compiler? ( Re: gcc lies? )

Previously:
>Well, I sure hope someone does a performance analysis on gcc-1.42 vs gcc-2.xx
>or a faster compiler comes along .

I know that there is always the argument for consistent code generation,
but you might try looking at lcc.  An article in Linux Journal quotes
times to compile lcc with lcc and with gcc.  Lcc compiled itself in 36
seconds and gcc compiled lcc in 68 seconds with default optimization and
130 seconds for maximum optimization.  Interestingly, the lcc compiled
program ran in 36 seconds and the gcc program ran in 30.  (So gcc gains
about 20% speed for the almost 400% compile time...)

Check out http://www.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?

FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org...

Just say NO to Netscape Navigator!