Date:      03 Aug 2000 16:53:04 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch
Subject:   Re: make installworld and make installkernel over NFS...

Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> writes:

> mount the remote /usr/src and /usr/obj on the local /usr/src and
> /usr/obj. There are some strange dependencies on absolute paths.

That should not be the case.  /usr/src shouldn't itself be a
dependency, and /usr/obj should be relocatable by setting
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to the appropriate place.

I *think* this means that the poster should have been able to make
this work by something like:

# cd /mnt/src
# make MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/mnt/obj installworld

although I haven't tested it to be sure I haven't missed something
obvious.

The original poster didn't give any details on the versions of
FreeBSD involved, but I suspect that he also has missed the changes
in recommended upgrade methods.  Reading /usr/src/UPDATING would be
advisable in that case.

Be well.