Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 22:07:31 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Delay

>not the big, heavy machine that you might think, though--that's
>ftp.FreeBSD.org, better known as wcarchive.cdrom.com.  This is the
>world's largest ftp server.  At times it has served up to 3200 users
>concurrently, though I notice that currently the limit is 2500.  This
>machine is David Greenman's personal responsibility, and he may come
>in with more details.

   The user limit was reduced to 2500 after I took out 1/4th of the system's
memory when it started to flake out. New memory has been ordered, and should
arrive on Monday, after which I will fly down to S.F. and install it.

>  In the meantime, here are some recent
>performance statistics.  You'll note that the daily sum represents an
>*average* data rate of 3.78 MB/s.

>>>                                         Current Record                 Delta
>>>      Bytes       326,412,384,034       326,412,384,034           New Record!

   Yeah, that is the current record set just a few days ago. It peaks at
around 6.2MB/sec (that's mega_bytes_) or roughly 50Mbps - half of our fast
ethernet connection to the Internet. For April, we sent out just under 8TB
of files. Our traffic has been doubling every year, so I have about that
much time to write a gigabit ethernet driver. :-)

-DG

David Greenman