Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:27:16 -0500
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd warning: Remote host failed -- FIXED

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 04:23 pm, Christopher Schulte wrote:
> At 03:56 PM 2/6/2002 -0500, Chris Browning wrote:
> >I'm trying to set up ssh into my firewall from a local machine. The
> > firewall rules are set up. sshd seems to be set up; I have it running
> > successfully on other machines. I can log into the firewall but get this:
> >
> >     brownicm@molly$ ssh brownicm@192.168.1.21
> >     brownicm@192.168.1.21's password:
> >     Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.
> >     Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
> >     Thus no job control in this shell.
>
> This is a classic symptom of your box using all of its pseudo ttys.

It's a firewall. There's no way in except the console, so what could be using
pseudo ttys? I added two and both are unused.

> Read the faq, it discusses a solution, which involves making more ptty
> devices, possibly compiling a new kernel.

Well, fsck me. That's what I forgot. There's no support for pty's in the
kernel. Easily fixed. Sometimes it just takes a different perspective. Thanks

Chris Browning
brownicm@prokyon.com