Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 15:22:46 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP Series II print filter

Please CC me on any replies.  TIA.

I'm trying to get my old HP Laserjet Series II to work with FreeBSD
4.1.1-RELEASE.
For straight text, e.g. lpr of rc.conf, it works as expected.
When I try to print from Netscape (under enlightenment under Xfree86) I
get raw postscript on the paper.  (I know my old Laserjet does not
understand Postscript.)

Looking at the archives and the man pages, I believe I have to send my
Postscript print through Ghostscript.  (I have installed V5.50a.)

Nothing I have found gives me a clue how to rewrite the print filter for
the laserjet to preprocess postscript using Ghostscript.  My 'vanilla'
filter looks like this:
#!/bin/sh
printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\033&l0H" && exit 0
exit 2

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers...
--
Try not.  Do or do not.  Is no try. -- Yoda