Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:18:52 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        beantaxi@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel build failure - on joy.sh?

On Thursday 18 December 2003 06:49 pm, The Bean wrote:
> --- Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com> wrote:
> > Joy.sh was retired but the Makefile still refers to it as an afterinstall
> > option. The joy.sh script was never removed from my /usr/src by cvsup.
> >
> > You could grab joy.sh from the attic. The script that I still have,
> > simply does "kldload joy".
>
> Thank you Kent, for your awfully prompt resposne! This confused me at
> first, but I believe you're saying that either I can go to the attic and
> get joy.sh . . . OR, I can simply make a one-liner that says 'kldload
> joy.sh'. If I don't care about joy then I suppose a 0-liner would work too,
> as long as make finds something. Since I don't know what the attic is, it
> might be vi time (or perhaps just touch).

Well, what is there is the following

#!/bin/sh
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/modules/joy/joy.sh,v 1.5 1999/08/28 00:47:23 peter Exp $

kldload joy

The permissions are
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  100 Aug 27  1999 /usr/src/sys/modules/joy/joy.sh

> So this is a make problem, not a config file problem. What's odd is that my
> attempt to make installkernel worked when I upgraded, but make
> installkernel KERNCONF=MyGENERIC fails, even though the only differences
> are options IPFIREWALL,
> options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE, and options IPDIVERT. Perhaps the different
> config file cause make to do more work, and that triggered the problem.
> Interesting.

I didn't look into that. I saw that joy.sh had been moved to the attic on the
cvs-repository and stopped at that point. FWIW, my config file doesn't have
anything to say about a "joy".

> Should the make file be changed so that it doesn't try to install a module
> that it doesn't build? Or is there a legitimate reason to try it?

It doesn't make sense for joy/Makefile to even be used but if you delete the
reference in modules/Makefile, cvsup will replace it. If you add joy.sh, you
shouldn't have the problem.

Kent