Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:51:12 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Philipp Huber <uebs@gmx.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what language should i learn next ?

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:33:43PM -0700, Philipp Huber wrote:
| On 07-Sep-00 j mckitrick wrote:
| >
| > I want to set the goal of learning a new language in the next couple
| > of
| > months.  These are the ones I am considering:
| >
| > perl
| > python
| > shell scripting (I am weak in this)
| > java (no freebsd support yet, right?)
|
| depends on what you want to do.
| my personal favourite is perl, but i don't know python anyway.
| you could try all of them and see which one you like most.

I want to avoid that, if possible.  I'd like to make an informed decision
from the beginning so I can use my time efficiently.  I guess what I want to
do is learn the tools that require some skill and that are efficient for
common jobs on a unix box.  That way, if the door ever opens for a unix
career, I would have valuable skills that would set me apart.  But I would
also like my knowledge to be useful now, on my little non-networked laptop.

Frankly, since I am not running on a network anyway, I first need to think
of some problems that need to be solved, or some tasks that can be
automated.

jcm