Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:40:59 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Peter <peterk5@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP billing/etc software

Peter wrote:
> Another question....my mail server's IP resolves to "domain.com", I tried
 > sending an e-mail to -questions from there but I keep getting this error:
 > Client_host_rejected:_cannot_find_your_hostname........ so should I fix my
 > reverse DNS to map IP to "www.domain.com" instead of "domain.com"?, if so why??

If you're getting the error "cannot find your hostname domain.com" then what you
have to make sure is that "domain.com" resolves to an IP address.
You're other option is to change what sendmail (or whatever MTA you use) says
on the HELO line to something that resolves to an IP addy.

What happens, is whatever your mail server announces its name to be on the
HELO line during smtp communication is checked to make sure that it resolves
to an IP.  It doesn't matter what IP, just some IP.
Most MTAs default to using the "hostname" configured for the machine, so if
you set the hostname to something logical (like mail.domain.com) and the DNS
is set up to properly reslove mail.domain.com => 192.168.1.1 (or whatever)
then everything will work.

It's a spam measure, to stop people who haven't taken the time to set up a real
email server from spamming the FreeBSD lists.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies