Date:      Wed, 25 May 2011 16:10:47 +0200
From:      Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem support MT9234ZPX-PCIE-NV

Dear Daniel and FreeBSD friends,

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:48:03AM +0200, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 22/05/2011, at 9:16, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >> However, as the boot process already mentions, there is no driver attached
> >> and I cannot get the modem to appear as an accessible and functional
> >> device. Is there someone, who can help me to get this modem to work?
> >
> > It would be helpful if you could specify what FreeBSD version you're
> > using.
> >
> > Assuming 8.2 or RELENG_8: no promises, but puc(4) is probably what
> > you're looking for.  I would try adding:
> >
> > puc_load="yes"
> >
> > To your /boot/loader.conf, then see what happens after booting.  uart(4)
> > may auto-attach to that.  Again, no promises.
>
> I have my doubts it would work though, most likely it's a soft modem which will only work with proprietary drivers.
>
> I couldn't find any details on the web page though so you might get lucky I suppose :)
>
> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C

According to the manufacturer
(http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZPX/)
it is not a soft modem, but a ``hardware'' modem. It says: Built-in
processor does the work, so your computer doesn't have to. I do not know if
this is sufficient to work under FreeBSD, but it seems to indicate that it
does not need any proprietary driver.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,