Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:10:33 +0200
From:      Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oh my, penguins are a'comin': DebianBSD

	Someone wake me up from this nightmare.

------- Forwarded Message

From: Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject: Re: The project
To: hamish@debian.org (Hamish Moffatt)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:58:00 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: debian-bsd@lists.debian.org

> That's a fine idea, but my response is always: to whom would this be valuable?
> What is the target audience of the "Debian GNU/FreeBSD" system? Are you hoping
> to convert Debian GNU/Linux users, or FreeBSD users?
>
> > I started with a freshly installed FreeBSD 3.2 system. The standard
> > distribution of FreeBSD sucks (IMO of course, but since this is a Debian
>
> Well, I'd be interested to know what you think sucks so that we can justify
> our efforts in the future. I think there are some good things and some
> bad things. I don't like the way that FreeBSD packages don't make an effort
> to configure themselves for your system, for one thing.

	Lest we (this list) get carried away in self-flagellation or
	in circular debates over the GPL/BSD licenses, let's agree on
	the many strengths of each ``side.'' --And I do not see BSD
	and Linux as *sides*, but participants in the larger open-source
	tide, BTW.

	Both Debian and BSD share more good points than have opposing,
	I think.  If the aim of a DebianBSD is to create an open-source
	system with a superior kernel, then the present FreeBSD effort
	has that.  It stands up to massive loads ...   And if an aim
	is to integrate the unqualified Best software (free or commercial),
	anything GNU  is strictly first-rate.

	I think that over time (months to a few years) a DebianBSD
	distribution would attract newer and seasoned users from every
	corner.  Nobody who is hardcore BSD or hardcore Debian is going
	to be `converted' ... and that's fine.

	A DBSD would shrinkwrap the best of both.

	gary

- --
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix

- --