Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 2009 00:56:25 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jakub Bednar <jakub.bednar@avg.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Diverting sockets and streams

Jakub Bednar wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
>                   thanks for making this clear to me.
>

>>> so basically I have to implement part of the TCP stack in my app.
>>
>> yes,
>> though there may be other ways to do what you want..
>> what DO you want to do?
>>

> I need to make a transparent proxy e.g. HTTP proxy, that will be able to
> scan the data stream for some security problems (exploits or whatever).
>
> I had a solution based on packet forwarding and packet UID matching
> rather then divert sockets. This solution works fine on FreeBSD, Linux
> and Mac OS X Leopard. Hovewer in the new Mac OS X Snow Leopard,
> forwarding outgoing packets to local port does not work. So I'm looking
> for another solution.

sounds like the broke it..

maybe they inherited a change from FreeBSD that was reverted out but
existed for one release, that broke exactly that :-)

ipfw fwd
along with fwd uid
is the way to do this on FreeBSD but snow leopard IS a problem.

doing it with divert is going to be a real pain.

you can also do this with nat in some cases I think..