Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:31:43 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, <ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <gshapiro@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AMaViS for FreeBSD

Hello,

Lately my port for AMaViS (email antivirus which uses an external scanner)
was committed to the ports tree.
It's an interesting alternative for relays that wish to scan the passing
mail.
Since this port touches some very delicate aspects of the system such as
sendmail.cf I'd like to hear your experience with it.
I tested it to some extent, in fact, I'm still using it without a problem,
but I didn't have any other than 4.2-RELEASE machine to test it on.
(However, it should work on RELENG_3 as well.)
Please report all your problems with this port ASAP.
Also, I'm planning to add support for other MTAs, such as Exim, Postfix
and Qmail. Except for Posfix (postfix-current), I don't have enough
information about how to make it work as a relay (i.e. to scan all passing
mail, and not just the local delivery).
If you know something about this, know some pointers or ready to
investigate it yourself and report it to me, I'll be more than glad to add
the support to the next port release.

Thanks,

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]