Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:35:11 +1000
From:      "Julian Morgan" <jmorgan@mitchells.com.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Named and NatD running mad in TOP

Hi there,
     was wondering why the following was occuring when I ran top...  Of course
all other processes were effected...

PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
  199 bind       54   0 16740K 16168K RUN     90.0H 70.36% 70.36% named
  177 root        2   0   728K   504K select 397:18 11.47% 11.47% natd
60328 root       28   0  1892K   984K RUN      0:00  1.13%  0.29% top

Although I did mailq and there was nothing in there I would say ppl in the
office would have trouble getting resources from the server.. After a reboot,
both Named and Nat were going sky high...
I rebooted 3 times and this was the case...  In the end I ended up going to
/etc/resolv.conf and checking that
it just had the two named servers to my ISP. And then I went to
/etc/named/named.conf and I think that it was getting into a erternal loop - as
I had 127.0.0.1 in there
half way down the list of forwarding addresses...  I know that this config has
not been changed for months - but it has decided to throw a wobbly now...

Wondering if you had any thoughts..

Regards
Julian