Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 14:13:23 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 09:58:44AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> Why not 4.4.1-RELEASE, 4.4.2-RELEASE, etc
> It's simple, to the point.  Implies upgrades.  Allows you to quickly
> determine exactly how current a particular system is with regards to
> patches, and follows long-standing conventions.

I don't disagree that would be an improvement.  But FreeBSD already
has (at least in someone's mind [Jordan]) a concept of point
releases.

For example, I've still got 2.1.7, 2.8.8 and 3.5.1 CDs.

I don't know if the re-definition of what a "point" means will go over.

Just as an aside, the FreeBSD project and core group seem to have an
enormous resistance to changing how anything is done.  There's a
"we've always done it this way, it works for us, if you can't figure
it out--tough" attitude.  That may be a Good Thing, as it brings
stability to the project and we all don't wind up chasing the Latest
Thing.  But just don't be disappointed if this whole thread results
in no changes.  I don't think I've ever seen change initiated by
non-committers.

Not meant to be a slam, just a recognition of the facts.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com