Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:51:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Eric and Michelle Bjorkman <bjorkman@elkhorn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal Services Question

--SkvwRMAIpAhPCcCJ

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 02:16:12AM -0500, Eric and Michelle Bjorkman wrote:
> Are Terminal Services supported by FreeBSD.  In that I mean is there a=20
> port already included that I will not have to buy a Terminal Services=20
> server application.  I'm looking for somthing like Novell that is free. =
=20
> Or do you know of project out there that can function like Novell?

The short answer is "yes".

The rather longer and more reasoned answer is that "Terminal Services"
as a distinct product is an artefact of the way Windows works.  Unix
and Linux systems (including MacOS X) have had true multiuser
capability from the start.  Similarly X windows was always designed to
be network transparent, so you can run any X application on a remote
machine and have it display on your local desktop[1].

That means that you can have a whole companies' worth of people all
logging into the same server to each run their own copy of an
application that displays on their personal desktop.  Those
applications can even include window managers or whole destop
environments if that's what you want.  No problem, so long as the
server is powerful enough.  What's more, it's just the standard way
the system works: no extra (and expensive) software required.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[1] Although MacOS X doesn't use X Windows as it's native windowing
system, a) it comes with X as a standard feature and b) I believe that
you can do similar remote display things with the Cocoa layer: in
fact, it has a generic 'remote object method call' capability which
gives you even more possibilities.

--=20
                                                      Savill Way

--SkvwRMAIpAhPCcCJ