Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad sector

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

=> hello,
=> well I am not that rich yet...I am just a student...
=> so I can't install freebsd on this disk?
=> eh then I would install M$ NT
=> it does not have this kind of problem...
=> hehehe just kidding...
=> but I am sure that it does not have this kind of problem...
=> because I have already installed M$95 and 98 and they were just fine...
=> I guess I will try freebsd again...

I would check out your HD manufacturer's site. Maxtor has a suite of
programs that allowed me to do a Low level format to there factory
specs. I understand that WD also has something similar.

I reduced my number of bad sectors to a (yes I need a new drive)
managable sum, and haven't had any more pop up since :-)

YMMV

PS. Hope you can do a backup.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Kevin G. Eliuk