Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:19:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gmarco@scotty.masternet.it, oleg@ogurok.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lawsuit with Novel

> > The principles associated with 386BSD, FreeBSD, and NetBSD were not
> > initially given the same deal as BSDI.  Instead, they were
> > individually served with "Cease And Desist" orders.
>
> Are you sure Bill Jolitz got one?  Dr. Dobbs were still actively
> marketing their CD in late 1995.

I remember talking with Lynne on the phone about it, when Bill was
off consulting at Sun.

> >> They worked hard to release the new version, even because the 4.4BSD was
> >> not fully complete at this time. FreeBSD version 2.0 was the first relase
> >> based on the 4.4BSD and was released  in December 1994.
> >
> > It is my opinion that it was Novell/USG's opinion at the time that the
> > non-BSDI Net/2 based projects would be unable to recreate the supposedly
> > "tainted" files, and thus not threaten the Novell/USG UNIX royalty
> > monopoly.  It is my opinion that the files removed were removed not for
> > their content, but for their criticality.
>
> I don't understand what you're trying to say here.  They had the files
> in question, just as BSDI did.

Right.  What I'm saying is that it is my opinion that the suit was
filed to stop competition, not because there was a true belief that
Trade Secrets were being infringed.

My non-professional, personal opinion is that once a Trade Secret is
disclosed, it's disclosed, and that you can only collect damages based
on the act of disclosure doing you irreperable harm.

In other words, people to whom the secret is disclosed are free to
use it, regardless of whether or not the disclosure was illegal.

Consider the secret of how Russia is able to smelt Zirconium about 10
times more efficiently than the US.  It is a trade secret, and is not
protected by patent.  If disclosed, then anyone else who wants to
smelt zirconium could use the method.

Actually, there is a long line of kiln/furnace/smelting analogies,
with large historical precedent.

When you try to protect something with Trade Secret status instead
of a Patent (which requires disclosure to obtain protection), then
the penalties are based solely on the act of disclosure.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.