Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2014 02:09:19 -1000
From:      parv@pair.com
To:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A pager with explicit (un)wrap-long-lines key bindings and/or options

Hi there,

I am looking for a pager that has EXPLICIT options and/or key bindings
(preferred) to set & unset wrapping of long lines[0]. I really don't
want to deal with environment variables which may or may not be set.
Options|Key bindings should override any environment variable or
settings in a configuration file.

Environment variable, LESS, is set to "-SsIXR -x4"[1]. less has only a
option to now wrap long lines (-S | --chop-long-lines). Listed in the
manual page is that default is not to wrap. (Well, invoking less as
"\less" does not override the "-S" in LESS.)

Also tried w3m; it does not have any option specific to wrapping of
long lines.

If nothing comes up, I will cook up some vi(m) solution (to work on
both FreeBSD and any other given GNU/Linux setup).

  - parv

  [0] Problem comes up when trying to make sense of a URL in email (in
      mutt) along with text around for context.

  [1] As to obvious reason to not set "-S" in LESS: setting the -S
      option is helpful most of the time where seeing extra characters
      can be deferred.