Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 1995 17:57:14 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        lets@risc.austin.ibm.com (Richard Letsinger)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Org), lets@lets.austin.ibm.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation Difficulties

> My first concern after reading the installation guide, release note, etc.
> was that I was not going to be able to install FreeBSD from the Walnut Creek
> CD because my CD drive is probably not supported by FreeBSD.  Obviously I
> could get started, because the top level of the CD is DOS format, but it

You can copy the bindist directory to your C: drive (copy it whole, directory
and all contents) and select `DOS' installation when asked.  This will work
fine, as long as you're using your C drive.

> - Assuming that my CD drive is not Mitsumi (and not SCSI), is it hopeless to
>   try to install FreeBSD from the Walnut Creek CD?  If so, can the files on
>   the CD be copied to my empty DOS E: drive and install from E:?  Other
>   alternatives?

Not hopeless at all - see above.

> - Why didn't my disk 1 153MB DOS slice show up at h with "MSDOS"?

Only primary DOS partitions are currently seen.

> - If I keep my DOS partition on disk 1 as an extended DOS partition, will I
>   be able to mount it under FreeBSD?  If so, how?

You'll need to edit your disklabel and try to bump the starting location
forward by secs/track number of blocks.  This is kludge, but for now we
don't have native support for DOS extended partitions, sorry!

> The hard disk reboot went well at first.  My first prompt, from the boot
> manager was:
>
> F2 ... dos
> F3 ... OS2
> F5 ... disk 2
>
> Default: F?
>
> - Why does the boot manager call it disk 2 when unix calls it disk 1 (wd1)?

F5 *leads* you to disk2.  You're currently looking at disk1.  If you hit
F5, you'll see a boot menu item for disk1 leading back.

> FreeBSD began to come up.  It checked a slew of devices.  I recognized my
> parallel port and my 2 hard disks and the data displayed for them seemed
> correct to me.  Then the boot stopped with:
>
> panic: cannot mount root

The doc is wrong.  You'll have to type:	wd(1,a)/kernel
I need to change this, sorry.

> I'd also like to ask a few things about the boot manager.
>
> - Did I do any damage when I accidently did a Write MBR in FreeBSD Fdisk on
>   disk 0?  Was anything written anywhere by this?  Maybe I was supposed to
>   do a Write MBR on disk 0?

I don't think so.

> The FreeBSD boot manager didn't go in the same place as the OS/2 boot
> manager I already had installed.  I say this because if I press F3 (the OS/2

This is correct.  The boot manager is on disk0.  OS/2's boot manager
is on its OWN partition.  It's done sort of different than most boot
managers.

> My guess on this is that there is a boot record (my term) at the beginning
> of (one or each) disk that sends the boot to code in a disk partition and
> that the FreeBSD boot manager is in the FreeBSD slice.  Then the FreeBSD
> boot manager is able to branch to any other partition on any disk and it
> happens that the OS/2 boot manager is in it's own partition on disk 0.

You need to read the Tutorial.. :-)  It talks about all of this.

> - Last, I saw in questions that someone said the FreeBSD boot manager can be
>   manipulated with DOS FDISK using the /MBR option, but it wasn't clear to
>   me what FDISK /MBR did.  I'll read the DOS manual when I get home tonight,
>   but can you tell me in case the manual is not clear with regard to non-DOS
>   setups like mine?

It reinitializes the MBR, nuking any boot manager resident there..

					Jordan