Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:21:57 +0300
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Konstantinos Konstantinidis wrote:
> > Technical Information wrote:
> > > But even if the CIA was involved in training and arming these people, it
> > > was NOT done in the name of terrorism.  It was made in the interest of
> > > stopping the spread of Communism, which has been part of our national
> > > directive for decades now.
> >
> > Let me ask you a question - is fighting the spread of Communism any more
> > just a cause than fighting the spread of Capitalism? It's not a question
> > of ideology mind you, and please don't take it as such. Just think about
> > it. What would happen for example if things went differently, and today
> > the USSR was still intact, the USA was split instead, and some of the
> > USSR supported "organizations" decided there was not much left as far
> > as Capitalism is concerned, and decided to fight back Communism instead.
> > This is quite a simplistic thoeretical outcome, but let me restate your
> > sentence now to suit this hypothetical situation:
>
> This situation could never arise.  Beginning in the 1960's, the
> Soviet Union was dedicated to the destruction of the U.S..  This
> included deploying nuclear missles into Cuba to give them a first
> strike capability, upsetting the balance of power.

I did mention that it was quite a simplistic theoretical outcome,
the purpose of which was not to play what-if games, but rather to
do s/Communism/Capitalism/g, thus removing or rather reversing the
ideology biases contained in the statement hoping that this would
show how silly it really was, at least for me. Apparently, it didn't
work, for you at least, and I am not going to argue about it any
more.

> The reason I say that this could never arise, is that they would
> not have stopped at splitting up the U.S. into nation-states.
>
> I refer you to what was nominally supposed to be a peace conference,
> in which Nikita Kruschev pounded the heel of his shoe on the table
> to drown out any discussion and yealled "We will bury you!".

Even if he really meant this literally, which I doubt it, don't forget
that it went both ways; the USSR viewed the US in much the same way;
fear, hatred and propaganda of similar nature flowed in both countries.

Let's just be glad we're all still around.

> > The fact is that the CIA has created a monster (numerous ones mind you,
> > but we'll just talk about the ones at hand right now) and God knows what
> > promises it made to them appart from offering weapons and training.
>
> Let's say you are right; isn't it our responsibility, then, to
> slay that monster?

It would be much better if that monster was never created in the first
place. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The question is not whether
you slay the monster, but HOW. Certainly not by creating another monster
out of the northern alliance or by bombing another country back to the
stone age, IMHO. Noticed the trend? this is bound to come back and bite
the US in the arse, probably harder too, in the not so distant future.

I do believe that this is not what we want.

--kkonstan