Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:54:49 +0800
From:      Xu Qiang <Qiang.Xu@fujixerox.com>
To:        dpk <dpk@dpk.net>, Xu Qiang <Qiang.Xu@fujixerox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE:  Help on bash script?

dpk wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Xu Qiang wrote:
>> 1. The way of incrementing the variable NCOREFILES. Why does it use
>> the formula of "NCOREFILES=3D$[ $NCOREFILES + 1 ]", and not the direct
>> way of "NCOREFILES=3D$NCOREFILES+1"?
> =

> If that was done, NCOREFILES would end up looking like:
> =

> +1+1+1+1+1+1+1
> =

> as bash does not automatically differentiate between numeric and
> string variables. What the funky looking construct does is convince
> bash to treat it as a numeric/arithmetic expression.

Strangely, there is no mention of this assignment usage in the book "Learni=
ng the bash shell, 2nd ed" by O'Reilly at my hand. :(

And "man bash" didn't talk of it either. However, it mentioned for arithmet=
ic evaluation, we can use =

	 id++ id--
              variable post-increment and post-decrement
       ++id --id
              variable pre-increment and pre-decrement

If it is correct, then I can also increment NCOREFILES by: =

++NCOREFILES. =

But I doubt it...

Regards,
Xu Qiang