Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:22:40 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_syscalls.c

In message <200108102214.f7AMEId27214@freefall.freebsd.org>, Ian Dowse writes:
>  Modified files:
>    sys/kern             vfs_syscalls.c
>  Log:
>  Arbitrarily limit to 64k the number of bytes that can be read at
>  a time using the ogetdirentries() compatibility syscall. This is a
>  hack to ensure that rediculous values don't get passed to MALLOC().
>
>  Reviewed by:	kris

This ancient compatibility syscall appears not to be used by anything
vaguely recent on the i386, but on the alpha platform it is still
used by the OSF/1 compat code. The 64k limit should be enough for
any sane programs there (e.g. libc on FreeBSD never reads more than
a hardware page size at a time); however it is still possible that
there are programs out there that will break with this change.

The correct solution to this problem is to make ogetdirentries
internally perform the read in small chunks. Unfortunately that
would require major changes to the function, so is unlikely to
get done in time for a MFC into 4.4.

This should be a low-risk workaround, but please let me know if
any OSF/1 executables start returning "Invalid argument" when
producing directory listings etc.

Ian