Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:25:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supercomputing with FreeBSD?

--- On Mon, 6/23/08, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> wrote:

> From: Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no>
> Subject: Re: Supercomputing with FreeBSD?
> To: "Michael Vince" <mv@thebeastie.org>
> Cc: "Unga" <unga888@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
> Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 8:40 PM
> Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org> writes:
> > Yes I remember when Nvidia posted that post so they
> could better
> > support their hardware on FreeBSD, but at least a few
> FreeBSD
> > developers slammed the Nvidia poster for reasons that
> appeared to me
> > to be quite unreasonable.
>=20
> The only people who slammed it were those who had no clue
> what it was
> all about.  Several of the features nVidia requested are
> being worked on
> by those who do.
>=20

Its finally very good to note people who know how to do it are being workin=
g on it.

At a time Linux is either fading or struggling on desktop, and at a time Li=
nux developers have to beg for OEMs for open source drivers that they never=
 get, it is the undeniable responsibility of the FreeBSD developers who kno=
w how to clear those issues to clear it and make the infrastructure ready f=
or OEMs to develop drivers for FreeBSD.=20

Success of the FreeBSD based desktop depends on the availability of drivers=
 direct from OEMs, ie, from those who have the specs for it. Its up to the =
OEMs to decide whether to open source the drivers or not. Its only the BSDs=
 can offer this freedom of choice to OEMs, not definitely Linux, which lega=
lly demands them to open source only.

Another importance of this is, gaming developers are increasingly voice for=
 64-bit operating systems. Top end game developers find maximum 4GB RAM is =
a thing of the past, they need very much more.

Things that nVidia requested are not only for nVidia, I can remember either=
 Open Sound System developers or Jack developers also mentioned they are al=
so handicapped with non-availability of such features.=20

Good luck for those guys who work on the requirements highlighted by nVidia=
 and get them soon out with FreeBSD 7.X and/or FreeBSD 8.0.

Best Regards
Unga
=0A=0A=0A