Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org>
To:        Paje da Oca <root@maloca.oca.org.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real Player as a plug-in

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Paje da Oca wrote:

> Hi, I have installed RealPlayer 5.0 for Unix on my FreeBSD 3.4, but
> I don`t know how to make Netscape 4.72 recognize it as a plugin.
>
> It is working as an `application`, the same way it would work if
> I started it by hand, but it is not beeing recognized as a plugin.
>
> Any ideas as to why there is an executable, AND two java classes?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Leonardo
>
> PS: The sound is quite bad, but I think that is the way RealPlayer
>     works in Unix. Or am I wrong?

Why don't you use RealPlayer7 Beta for Linux?  That's what I'm using now
with my newly installed DSL connection, and the sound is about like good
FM radio quality.  Of course, over a dial up connection, it isn't that
good, but still better than version 5.0 I think.  Plus, the 5.0 version
doesn't work with many of the current formats.
As for getting it to work as a plug in, I'm not sure what the difference
is between using it as a plug in and simply setting Netscape to use
RealPlayer as the default application for opening files with a particular
suffix, in this case ra, rm, and ram.  That's how I do it and it works
well.
Hope this helps,
Joseph