Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:10:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@jsp.umontreal.ca>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Default router

aaah!

I tried route add default 12.34.56.78

and netstat -r stuck...

I can't test it now because i'm not on the good machine...

And... humm... the NIC you're talking about is 12.34.56.78, in the
example? And the IP would be 12.34.56.78?

Thanks!

PS: Shouldn't this be in the handbook or something? In the default routes
sections, it is explained how it is working, but not how to add a default
route... :(

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:

> I think you can do this:
>
> route add 0.0.0.0 12.34.56.78
>
> where 12.34.56.78 is your gateway.
>
> you also have to have an IP assigned to that NIC before you can add any
> routes...
>
> ---
> Tani Hosokawa
> River Styx Internet
>

> On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Spidey wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I was trying to setup my ed0 ether card as the default gateway, and did
> > not understood how to do it until I used the sysinstall utility to
> > reconfigure the ed0 card.
> >
> > But I still don't understand how it is enabled. I searched the
> > /etc/directory for any use of the defaultrouter variable, and all I found
> > is the rc.networks file that mentions an assignement like:
> >
> > route_default="default ${defaultrouter}"
> >
> > but the route_default variable is not used anywhere else!!!
> >
> > How could I have enabled the default route without rebooting?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > ###############################
> > ## Au nom de l'etat,         ##
> > ## La force s'appelle droit. ##