Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:13:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, vak@cronyx.ru, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI

> > My IDE cdrom seems to think it's a hard disk.
> >
> > wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> > wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC2540H>
> > wd0: 515MB (1056384 sectors), 1048 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> > wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <WDC AC2540H>
> > wd1: 515MB (1056384 sectors), 1048 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> > wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> > wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <EN C                DCR-MOD IREV2:06>, removable, dma, iordis
> > wdc1: ATAPI hard disks not supported
> >
> > It's not working anyway. It's an NEC CDR-260, claims to be ATAPI rev 1.7B
> > compatible.
>
> Oh well, you have one of the drives that doesn't byteswap its name :)
> It probably has other "non-std" things as well, making the driver
> fail to see it as a CDROM. This was one of the probelms that effectively
> delayed my ata driver, there seems to be no clear way to deal with this
> except searching through a table with known stange devices.... :-(

Hmm, we're going to have to deal with this in some way. Releasing an IDE cdrom
driver to all the masses waiting for one only for them to find it doesn't
work with their particular cdrom would be a major PR disaster.

I'll try and find the problem with my drive this week. I think we'd better
try and find a lot of IDE cdrom owners out there to thoroughly shake out this
driver.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul