Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:41:52 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, Sebastien G <sebas-listes@alternatives.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with ultra320

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 4:51 am, Scott Long wrote:
> Sebastien G wrote:
> > Well, Thank you Scott.
> >
> >  I set the tag depth to 32 and everything went ok (make buildworld &
> > installworld) !  Do you think it is a good enough solution to use this
> > systeme in production?
>
> We've had reports from various Large Corporate Users that lowering the
> tag depth to 32 results in satisfactory stability for them.  YMMV.
>
> >  Is there any other test, I could do help debug the problem or the
> > stability of the system?
>
> Unfortunately, we need traces from a very high resolution SCSI analyzer
> to capture the events that lead to the problem.  If you have the
> equipment, we would gladly take any information you can capture with it.
>
> >  Since, the tag depth gets reset every reboot, is there some where that
> > I fix it to 32.  maybe a sysctl variable?  Or should I put in the
> > rc.conf if so how?
>
> You can create a small script to run the command and place it in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
>
> > Thank you again.
>
> Hopefully we'll get this solved soon =3D-)
>
> Scott
>
> > S=E9bastien
> >
> > Scott Long wrote:

> >> One thing that might help the problem for you is to lower the tag depth
> >> of the drive to 32.  Use the 'camcontrol tags' command to do this.
> >>
> >> Scott

[snip card dump/dmesg WHY]

[Late I know but...]=20
Looks like this is still broken.

I have Adaptec 29320 plus four Seagate Cheetah ST336607LW (firmware 0006 =
=3D=20
latest).

4_8 dies during the SCSI neg, 20030731-JPSNAP boots okay. This is a=20
replacement setup for my works firewall. It dies during restore. Tags level=
=20
was 33 post card dump so the camcontrol "fix" will probably work.

Don't have an analyzer, but I can do some of the legwork if someone will "h=
old=20
my hand". Pending MFCs?

The existing drives are running on borrowed time so I'll have to put the ne=
w=20
drives into production next week.

CC me if I can help.

=2D-=20
ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
	Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)