Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:47:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Stephen Couchman <scouch@io.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iijpp STILL cannot talk to my modem :-((

On Sun, 31 Dec 1995, Stephen Couchman wrote:

> Donald,
> [...]

Ok, I think I got it.  (I hope...)

It's that bit about the CRTSCTS and CLOCAL that got me...

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but you have a 1200 baud modem,
right?  Most 1200 bauders (at least the one I used to own) don't do
RTS/CTS (i.e. hardware) handshaking, no?

I just checked, and it seems that iij-ppp automagically sets crtscts on
your port.  This is not a good thing.  I grepped around in the ppp
sources, and sure enough, it does set (and require) crtscts to be used.

I don't know how to change this, so you're probably stuck for now.  You
mentioned that you'd be getting a Hayes 28.8 (? -- anyways, a high-speed
modem of some kind) soon.  This should solve your problem, since all high
speed modems that I know of, support crtscts (and any that don't should
immediately be thrown away).