Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:39:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dave.list@pixelhammer.com
Subject:   Re: Tailing logs

DAve <> wrote:
 > I would love to have a way to tail a log, like piping to grep, except I
 > see every line and the lines I would normally grep for are highlighted.
 > That would be cool. Anyone know of a bash command or tool that will do this?
 >
 > Side note, I am tailing sendmail after changes to my outbound queue
 > runners. I want to highlight my sm-mta-out lines but still see all lines.

You could use this script:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/scripts/bold

It's a filter that works like similar to grep, but it
highlights the parts that match your regular expression.
The script contains usage information.

So you can do things like this:

$ tail -f /var/log/maillog | bold -l myhost.mydomain

(The -l option specifies to highlight the whole line,
not just the part that matches.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson