Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 01:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Versionless ports

 * I was just putting together ports for the handbook and FAQ which

Great!  I was thinking about these too, you know. :)

 * 1. The documents don't have distinct versions---grabbing the
 :
 * 2. The PLIST for these ports cannot be known in advance, so I
 *    build the plist (in ${WRKDIR}) immediately after installing,
 *    before registering.  Is there any problem with doing this?

I think it's probably better for someone (you?) to create source
tarballs once in a while and put it up in LOCAL_PORTS.  The ports
should be for a known working version -- we don't want the build to
fall over because the user typed "make" just after someone committed a
bogus .sgml file.

 * 3. Where should these "document" ports live?

I think it warrants a new category all by itself.  How about
"documents", with the following it pkg/COMMENT:

===
Documentation for FreeBSD systems.
===

We can also say something about the processing tools not belonging
here, but that's obvious from the existence of "textproc" category.

Satoshi