Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:30:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Adriano Lacerda <adriano@virtualhouse.com.br>, Free Alpha List <freebsd@gateway.virtualsecurity.com.br>, adriano@vh.com.br, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bios Alpha to SRM, how?

Doug Rabson writes:
 > On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Adriano Lacerda wrote:
 >
 > > > I know that this is possible since Drew Gallatin and I just did this to a
 > > > 164sx machine at Usenix. It was tricky and seemed to involve finding
 > > > exactly the right version of fwupdate.exe (I don't remember which version
 > > > that was but Drew might).
 > >
 > > I only need the fwupdate.exe?
 > > or the sx164srm.rom two?
 >
 > No, you need both but I think the sx164srm.rom file we had only worked
 > with certain versions of fwupdate.exe.

I've left the fwupdate.exe that I *think* we used last week at
http://www.freebsd.org/~gallatin/fwupdate.exe.  You should be able to
squeeze this onto a floppy with the sx164srm.rom you already have.
The versioning issues have to do with finding the most recent version
of fwupdate.exe is which small enough to fit on a floppy together with
sx164srm.rom.

After you're running SRM, I whole-heartedly suggest updating the
firmware to the latest version available from the normal Compaq ftp
sites. See
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/alphapc164sx.html

Drew