Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:32:34 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [GSoC] About the idea: Unicode support in vi

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:39:44AM -0500, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Computer Science student at Northern Illinois University, and I
> used FreeBSD for a long time. I'm interested in the idea that to
> improve the nvi in the base system. My proposal is slightly different:
> I want to fork nvi and make it iconv-awared (or mbyte-mode tunable,
> like tcsh), so that it can deal with more encodings. Can that be a
> GSoC project proposal?

	I'm only speaking for myself [obviously], but I think this would
	be an excellent idea.  I'm using nvi on my FreeBSD server; works
	fine.  But using it on my Ubuntu desktop dails because the
	"default vi" is vim.  vim and nvi are incompat.  Having using vi
	since the earth was formed, I am waaaay stuck with it.

	Please do keep me posted if you rxpand nvi.

	gary kline