Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:12:02 -0500
From:      Madhusudan Singh <singh.madhusudan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Qmail / FreeBSD / vqadmin problem

Hi

I am new to both FreeBSD and qmail. However, I am definitely not new to
unix/linux (2 years of HP-UX and 7 years of Linux experience). I am using a
pf firewall on a machine that will host a webserver as well as my mailserver.

I am interested in setting up IMAP access to email for my users (do not care
for POP3 access). However, I found installation instructions on
qmailrocks.org and followed them to the letter (note to the author
- /usr/home/vpopmail does not exist - I had to create it by hand - maybe the
first shell script on step 2 needs some editing ?), until I installed vqadmin
and setup the passwd and placed .htpasswd in /usr/local/www/cgi-bin,
restarted apache (built from ports), and tried to login through the cgi
interface from another machine. Ports www, 8080 and https are open
in /etc/pf.conf. But I keep getting "Waiting for <FQDN>" and never can
authenticate with the right password.

The question is :

What am I possibly doing wrong ? A port that is not open, or is it some other
problem that a FreeBSD / Qmail newbie might have missed ?

Thanks (especially to the author who has created nearly idiot-proof
installation instructions (so far) ).