Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:06:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Brian Poole <raj@cerias.purdue.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using loopback mounts...

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Brian Poole wrote:

> I don't know about others, but personally the time wasted fooling with
> loopback mounts out weighs the cost of a few GBs of storage. I don't have
> the time to waste when drives are as cheap as they are. You would also
> have to do special configuration of your mirror scripts, blah blah. Much,
> much easier to just sic your scripts on the entire directory and let it
> maintain itself.

g'day brian,

in the freebsd case, this is particularly relevant because the ISO images
don't directly reflect the layout of the ftp archive.

i disagree with the `drives as cheap' bit, only because our Dell fibrechannel
arrays are definitely not as cheap as i'd like.  but you get what you pay
for..

as a mirror librarian (ook!) with a bunch of different archives, i can say
that most distros now have multiple cdrom images.  it's becoming increasingly
hard to use loopback mounts on a permanent basis.  for what it's worth, i
try and use loopbacks to `seed' the archive releases we use, where possible
(when your traffic costs $100 per gig, incoming, if it takes me 30 minutes
of my time to re-use a loopback.. well, i certainly don't get paid $200/hour :-)

i suspect loopback stuff will be used a lot more once DVD-R images start to
be released.. to date, i only know of SuSE Linux offering this.  i was
seriously thinking about a DVD writer and offering Freebsd on DVD-R.. but
i haven't had the time lately.  any comments from other people on this..
is FreeBSD already offered on DVD ?

regards,

-jason