Date:      04 Dec 2001 19:51:35 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade question

Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com> writes:

> i just ran portupgrade on the meta port of kde-2.2 to upgrade from 2.2.1 to
> 2.2.2.  it took it like 15 seconds...and it didn't even d/l or compile
> anything!!!  i can't see that anything got upgrade excpt the version number
> of the kde meta port.  whats up with that?  any ideas?  please cc me the
> replies

If you read the man pages of "portsdb" and "pkgdepfix" you'll see some
warnings about running those tools occasionally (?) to keep the package
database in shape.  (What's up with that?)  And, IIRC, that you do it
before using portupgrade.  Life on the (b)leading edge...

P.S. portsdb takes a very long time (30-60 min?) on my 500 MHz system.