Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:50:32 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT is bad for me...

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.1010212162702.5225B-100000@pcnet1.pcnet.com> Daniel Eischen writes:
: On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Warner Losh wrote:
: > To be blunt, the FILE * changes go too far, even for -current.
:
: Other than having to installworld twice, I've had zero problems.
: But I don't recompile my applications often, and am probably
: still running things that depend on libc.so.4.

I have lots of binaries that depend on libc.so.5 (I just checked) and
none that depend on libc.so.4 or libc.so.3 (since those were removed
from my system a while ago).  I suspect many of them will break.

: > Changes of this magnitude require a bump of the major number, even
: > though we've already done that in -current.  It breaks nearly
: > everything, including the upgrade path.  Alternatively, the locking
: > changes need to be backed out.
:
: Too bad ELF libraries don't have minor version numbers.  It's
: a shame to waste a library version number.

Don't think of it as a waste.

: > Alternatively, the upgrade path must be fixed.  We've managed to avoid
: > extra special instructions in the vast majority of cases, and I don't
: > want to start introducing them now.  It is the road to madness.  We
: > tried that once before and the support load was too high.
:
: I don't have the time or resources to fix the upgrade path.  If
: someone else wants to, it would certainly be appreciated.

Then wouldn't the "partially applied patch" rule apply?  eg, back it
out until the issues can be resolved.  Breaking the upgrade path isn't
acceptible.

Warner