Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 18:09:47 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        conta@alpo.casc.com (Alex Conta)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 PCI-SCSI on Compaq ProLinea 5100

Alex Conta wrote in message ID
<9607161820.AA12434@centime.cascade>:
> I have an Adaptec 2940 PCI-SCSI-2 adapter that works just fine under FreeBSD
> 2.1 on a DEC Starion 960 PC (SCSI-2 hard disk drive + cd-rom).

> The same adapter  works fine on a Compaq ProLinea 5100 (SCSI hard disk and
> cd-rom) under Windows 3.1, but it does not work when I try to install FreeBSD
> from a CD-ROM distribution.

> The installation fails because the adapter is not recognized. Booting with
> "-c" and setting manually the IRQ, Port Address, and other parameters didn't
> help.

> Known problem? Known solution?

My money is on the Compaq having one of the ``interesting'' Compaq PCI
implimentations which causes our code nightmares. You may want to try
2.1.5 to see if it has the Compaq fixes in it, if not then -current
does.

(BTW: the ahc driver doesn't appear to the `-c' boot config. as it's a
 PCI device and all necessary information is auto-detected, but *ONLY*
 if the PCI bus is detected)

> 2.

> Any plans to add support for the AMD SCSI adapter that is embedded with
> Compaq DexPro 6200 XL?

Not that I am aware of.

Gary