Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:48:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

> From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
> Date: Mon 8 Jul, 2002
> Subject: Re: Package system flaws?

> <<On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:46:05 +0100 (BST), Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk> said:
>
> > As much as I hate to rely on it in general, for specific applications
> > filename conventions can be very useful.  What do your extensions do
> > that a suffix of -gtk.tar.gz in the archive TOC doesn't?
>
> Avoids encoding kluges like that into archives and archivers.

OK, I thought you might have some compelling technical reason up your sleeve
(ugh, did I just use that word?).

This is an innocuous kludge.  We're only encoding this (common!) convention
here for specific application purposes.  That makes scripting simple, and
avoids having to modify utilities to understand extensions.  Seems a reasonable
compromise to me (and I'm usually labelled an uncompromising idealist...).

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses