Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:06:46 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Public Access to Perforce?

--mR8QP4gmHujQHb1c

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:48:04AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> As you pointed out later on, converting the entire repository is a
> pretty big task, although I've heard several times about developers in
> the Subversion community using the FreeBSD CVS repository as test data.=
=20

That's mostly because it's extremely polluted.  Branch and tag
names are mixed all over the place.  That doesn't sit well with
the normal subversion tree style, due to name collisions.

I know this because I tried to convert it to svn some time ago.
FreeBSD's repository needs a slightly different svn repository
layout than usual in order for it to work.  :-/

However, perhaps svn is not the best choice, in fundamental
style.  As a diverse project, FreeBSD should support remote,
loosely coupled repositories based on the main one.  I believe
svn doesn't work well for that purpose.

Regards,
--=20
wca