Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:17:31 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Eric MASSON <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
Cc:        charon@freethought.org, Mark Allen Cockrum <n9842643@cc.wwu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd/WinNT question..

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 01:06:15PM +0200, Eric MASSON wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > NT can convert FAT->NTFS. I can't remember the name of the prog
> > but I think it is an option in the Properties dialogue of a (FAT)
> > drive.
>
> You definitely don't want to do that, NTFS has the equivalent of FAT,
> named the MFT (Master File Table) that should be at the start of
> partition to ensure better perfs. Converting FAT to NTFS makes the MFT
> being created where there are available clusters and then makes it
> fragmented. NT and NTFS aren't quite reliable (boot every week at least
> and chkdsk on all volumes to avoid problems), so avoid giving them more
> reasons no to work properly.

I'm not disputing what you say, it certainly seems logical, but
when you install NT, even on a virgin disk, it initially creates
it's partition as FAT and then converts it (thinking about it, the
program is called CONVERT.EXE) to NTFS at the first re-boot so does
this problem/limitation not exist anyway?

> Eric MASSON
> --
> Any opinions expressed above  | Murphy's Law Corollary :
> are my own, not Kisoft's      | Murphy was an optimist.

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.