Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:04:49 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cross Posting...

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 10:59:59PM +0000, a little birdie told me
that Rob remarked

>      This might be stretching it, but here goes.
>      What if the mailing list manager used the information stored in its
> database to only send one copy of a message to each user.  When it readies
> to send a message, it would take the Message-ID of the letter, compares it
> to a list of duplicates, and only sends one copy to the users preferred
> default mailing list?
>      Would this take too much CPU time to figure out?  Am I making any
> sense?

Some of us PREFER getting a copy in each list.  Each freebsd-foo list
gets procmail'd into a different folder for me.  If someone crossposts to
2 lists, and 2 people reply to it, each restricting it to one of the 2
lists (each different), I'd end up half-lost in one place, especially if
I read the wrong folder first.  With a copy in each folder, it makes
discussions much easier to track.

To slightly modify a quote from Terry Lambert from long ago:

--

| Matthew Fuller    MF4839    http://www.over-yonder.net/ |