Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:15:53 -0500
From:      makisupa <bsd.makisupa@sbcglobal.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbie ports question

I seem to be getting myself in trouble repeatedly...I'm sure someone can
help...

Fresh install of 6.0 RC1, gnome 2.12 from marcus's tb, freshly cvsupped
ports.  I need to install some little apps like gaim and pan.  when
running 'make install clean' for these ports i'll get a message that the
correct version of port X is not installed.  Problem is make says i need
a newer version but the version numbers indicate i've got a newer
version than what its looking for.  Then a little part about
'FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER.'  There is an example of this below this
message.  If i use this it will install the older version of the
dependencies or at least register them.  I say this on the last system
that i hosed...2 copies of the same package would be registered.  Not
good. How should i *properly* install these ports?  As in what's not
going to get me in trouble?

===>  Installing for glib-2.6.6
===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.7 - found
===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on executable: pkg-config - found
===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on shared library: intl - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if devel/glib20 already installed
===>   An older version of devel/glib20 is already installed
(glib-2.8.3)
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/glib20
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/glib20.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/accessibility/atk.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/gtkspell2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/gaim.

Thanks for the help.  Loving my BSD laptop so far...just straightening
some things out.

/mak.