Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 10:21:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Eric Kozowski <eric@haydenisland.verio.net>
Cc:        marc rassbach <marc@tandem.milestonerdl.com>, Brandon DeYoung <brandon@schoolpeople.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 36 GB IDE Hard Drives

On Friday, 24 December 1999 at 21:39:40 -0800, Eric Kozowski wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 09:19:12PM -0600, marc rassbach wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Brandon DeYoung wrote:
>>> Are hard drives larger than 32 GB supported by Free BSD. I've had
>>> both the 3.3 and 3.4 releases fail during the make New FS portion
>>> of the install, when installing on a Maxtor 36 GB drive.
>>
>> This seems to be a hardware problem.  If you go to maxtor's site
>> http://www.maxtor.com/technology/infobulls/13027.html
>> they mention how older BIOSes are non-functional.
>
> i ran into the same problem w/ a maxtor 36gb ide drive under
> 3.4-stable.  i upgraded my bios per maxtor's instructions, but it
> still wouldn't format.

I don't know how you can determine that this is the "same problem".
There are almost no details of what happened.  The BIOS upgrade
wouldn't make any difference, since FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS.

I'm currently investigating some reported problems in this area.
Specifically, ufs file systems of 27.5 GB and up have been reported to
fail to create file systems.  On one occasion, newfs reported that the
file system was read only.  In another case, the newfs completed, but
the system paniced writing to the file system.  It would be nice to
know what *really* happened to each of you.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.