Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 09:14:34 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, Brian Lau <blau@allbusiness.com>, Matthew Murphy <fluidlord@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 03:51:30PM -0700, Tim Erlin wrote:
> Ok, so for confirmations sake, I did 'whereis passwd'
> and got '/usr/bin/passwd'
>
> I then booted into single user and ran
> '/usr/bin/passwd' and got '/usr/bin/passwd: not found'
>
> It also appears that /usr is empty. Odd, no?

No, not odd. If you had asked in freebsd-questions originally,
someone would have followed up on that answer and provided the
missing information. If the person who answered your question
had rubbed out the "newbies" and replaced with "questions" in
the headers, the answer would have gone to freebsd-questions
and you would have gotten a cc on it and any replies.

That's why we insist that ANSWERS (as well as their questions!) should
always go to freebsd-questions. Nobody wants to risk taking a wrong or
incomplete answer from a newbie or from a knowledgeable person without
peer review of that answer.

Tim, see the FAQ under System Administration where it explains
what to do if you've lost your root password.
Your /usr/partition is not mounted at that stage, which is
why you can't see (or use) its contents.

 [...] At the question about the shell to use, hit ENTER. You'll be
 dropped to a # prompt. Enter mount -u / to remount your root
 filesystem read/write, then run mount -a to remount all the
 filesystems. Run passwd root to change the root password then run
 exit to continue booting.

People... sure this guy could have found it in the FAQ, but
that's no excuse to cause him to have the frustration of
going off and doing the wrong (or incomplete) thing and failing.
Everyone makes mistakes or omissions in answers occasionally,
and that's why, when we have some help to offer, we offer it in
freebsd-questions where others can see and correct or amplify
the answer, to avoid giving new people the run-around.

If your answer is NOT good enough to post to freebsd-questions,
then it is certainly NOT good enough to inflict on newbie.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-