Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:50:46 -0800
From:      Frank Jahnke <jahnke@sonatabio.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with xorg dual monitors

>> Xinerama using Xorg 6.9 on FreeBSD 6.0 works fine for me.  I'm using
>> dual CRTs and a Matrox G450, which is fine once you remove the
>> (nonfunctioning) HAL layer that 6.9 includes as part of the
>> out-of-the-box set-up.
>>
>How do you get rid of the HAL layer?

That's a Matrox-specific "feature."  It is needed on some of the older
cards to use Xinerama, but not for the G450 and G550 (not that these are
exactly new).  So I deleted the file.  I can find the particulars if you
like, but I don't think it applies to your case.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-servers/mga_hal/ for
details on mga-hal.

You may wish to sort through the X.org log file, though, to make sure
that there are no similar vendor-specific files that have broken in the
upgrade to 6.9.  That's how I found that mga-hal did not work.

Frank