Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:00:41 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need assitance installin FreeBSD

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:42:04 -0500 (EST)
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

<snip>

> Actually, I think the intention of the MINI-ISO is to boot and
> run the installation with everything loaded from one of the ftp
> sites.

I believe you're thinking of the bootonly.iso (21MB) which is just
the boot/sysinstall stuff.

The miniinst.iso (245M) contains all the files for the base system
allowing one to do a base install (no XFree86 and no packages).  Of
course, you can use the miniinst.iso to just boot and then do an FTP
install.  I was trying to point out to Chris that if he was expecting
a desktop to be installed with the miniinst.iso that it wouldn't be
on the disc.

This is real handy if you do not want any of the "default desktops"
(KDE, Gnome, etc) offered and prefer to build your choices after
installation; however, most new users start off one of the defaults
on the disc1.iso.

<snip>

> If you have a slow net connection, then you will want CD 1 and maybe
> 2 which allow you to load everything from CD.   Still, you just burn
> the ISO files directly to CDs and boot the first one.  Then you select
> CD as the install media.   If, by what you select to install, it needs
> the second one, it will ask for it.

The last time I checked, disc2 was the "live filesystem/recovery"
disc and didn't contain any packages.

I looked around the website, but I couldn't find the document
which describes the content of those discs.  I thought we had such
a thing at one point in time.  It would be nice if that were part
of the documents on the main website bulleted for the releases.

Best regards,

Randy

--
There's no .sig like no .sig