Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:56:46 -0500
From:      "Richard S. Conto" <rsc@merit.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, rsc@merit.edu
Subject:   re: New cdboot ISO available

I tried ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.5-RC1-cdboot.iso
on two machines:

Dell Inspiron 3000, Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
		    Copyright 1985-1997
		    Build 06/09/98 09:42:22
		    Inspiron 3000 KM200ST Rev A05
		    Keyboard BIOS Rev A01

Worked OK, got into the installer

Gateway 2000 P5-120, BIOS 1.00.10.BR0T
		     AMIBIOS
		     American Megatrends ...
		     I think the copyright date was 1992,
		     although this machine was manufactured
		     in 1995.

Failed (hung) after POST. No messages, floppy disk light seems to
stay on a long time.

Will there be a way to generate a special bootstrap the old (current)
way? This bootstrap should have just enough in it to install enough of
the system to build a GENERIC kernel and install that.

(B.T.W.: I'm not firmly attached to the Gateway. I was just able to get
it cheap and was using it as a proof-of-concept, and as a place to house
a 40G drive for my home LAN.)