Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:08:57 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@server.i-clue.de>
To:        G D McKee <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP

G D McKee schrieb:

> Hi
>
> I have read it somewhere that there is a way if telling ppp (user mode ppp)
> to stay live for a given period of time and the timeout after this.  I can't
> remember where I read it and would like to set it up.
>
> For example, the min call charge is 5min, so I might as well be connected
> for this period of time as you get billed for it anyway, and then drop it
> there is, lets say 60sec of inactivity.

on the ppp command line, or in the configuration file:

set timeout 0   deactivates the stay alive period,
set timeout <n> sets the stay alive period to <n> seconds.

The line is dropped after there is NO traffic for <n> seconds. This may
not be what you looked for, depending on your setup.

HTH
-Christoph Sold