Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 00:53:56 +0000
From:      David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail - masquerading user name

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:19:06PM -0400, User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> 	Ok, what's the trick.  I have tried the following with no luck.
>
> telnet mail.yahoo.com smtp
> telnet smtp.mail.yahoo.com smtp
> telnet smtp.yahoo.com smtp

I have never tried to telnet my mail server, and when I try
to I get the same response you do.

I just use smtp.mail.yahoo.com in my mc file like I showed you,
and away it goes. For pop
I use pop.mail.yahoo.com

> What are you using for your smtp
> relay?
I believe that is done by yahoo.

> In my mailbox, the only option I found is for POP pickup and
> forwarding to another address.  I do POP pickup now.  I don't have an FQDN so
> I couldn't have my mail forwarded directly to my box. When I do the same
> telnet using smtp.earthlink.net smtp, I get a response.  It looks like for

I am no expert, but it seems to me that a mail server does not have
to be configured for telnet. Other than for testing, what do you
telnet the mail server for?

You are sure you configured your yahoo address for smtp send?
See www.yahoo.com, click on check mail, sign in, click options,
then click POP Access and Forwarding