Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:51:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   related - d-link disappeared/sniffer question

Hello friends and neighbors, I'm wondering is anyone
else has ever "lost" a NIC.  I have two identical
d-links on a 4.4 stable box, here is the dmesg for the
one that hung in there:

rl0: <D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100BaseTX> port
0xa400-0xa4ff mem 0xea000000-0xea0000ff irq 11 at
device 11.0 on pci0

Pretty standard.  The other one was there yesterday as
rl1.  But I'm trying to configure the box as an IDS so
I slapped a 0.0.0.0 IP address on it and, when that
didn't work, I tried 1.1.1.1 (thinking 0.0.0.0 was
illegal and 1.1.1.1 was just fake).  Now in rc.conf I
see:

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Thu Jan 31
17:56:08 2002
ifconfig_rl1="inet 1.1.1.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"

but if I uncomment the line i get errors since the
machine can no longer find the interface.  I tried to
plumb/create it and some other ifconfig tom foolery
but no good.  /stand/sysinstall can't see it either.

Does anyone know how to get my poor lost dlink back?
And is there a way to set an interface to sniff with
no IP or with an IP that isn't reachable on your
network?

Thanx for anything...

=====